To Make the Meatballs You Will Need…
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 cup bread crumbs or panko
- 3 cloves chopped garlic – more if you really love garlic!
- 1 cup fresh cilantro minced (parsley if you prefer)
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 large handfuls of arugula (or your favourite leafy green)
- 2 tsp corn strach
- 2 tbsp of your favourite spread (try my cumin hummus or black bean spread!)
- Your favourite bread (2 slices per sandwich)
- 1/2 teaspoon each (garlic powder, garlic salt, dried oregano, cumin, roasted red pepper, salt, black pepper)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
Prepare the meatballs
- In a large bowl, combine ground turkey, bread crumbs, parsley/cilantro, egg, garlic and spices
- Using a strong mixing spoon or hands, mix well and shape into 1-inch balls (you should have around 10-12 total)
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Fry the meatballs in batches until browned on all sides and the meatballs are cooked ( 5 to 7 minutes per batch (an internal thermometer should read 165 degrees for 15 seconds).
- Mix cornstarch with a splash of cold water and then mix into the chicken broth. Add to the pan and let simmer to create a gravy
Prepare the sandwich
- Spread hummus over your bread
- Place a handful of arugula on top (sprinkle with cheese if you like)
- Cut 2 meatballs into halves and layer on top of the arugula
- Add the other slice of bread, slice how you like and enjoy!
Meal Prep Tip: You can double this recipe and freeze the extra for quick meals later in the week or month. Arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet, not touching. Freeze until solid, about 1 hour, then transfer to a freezer-safe container and store up to 1 month.
Cook Once Eat Twice: Mix it up: Enjoy these with meatballs with rice for a cook once eat twice simple meal prep